Skip to main content

Pendleton R. Fuller papers

 Collection
Identifier: Ms-0145

Scope and Contents

The papers of Pendleton R. Fuller, New Mexico farmer and sheep raiser, date from 1912-1945. Most items in the collection are from 1912-1919, with additional material from the World War II period. Because these papers are comprised of items from Fuller's Las Cruces days, there is little material on his later sheep raising operation. In addition to correspondence, much of which concerns cabbage growing, there are bills and receipts, deeds, tax assessments and receipts. Water statements and water service applications from the Elephant Butte Water Users Association, La Union Irrigation Company and the Rio Grande Project of the U.S. Reclamation Service are also contained in the collection. There are magazine articles on farming and press bulletins put out by the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in 1916 and 1917. Besides certificates from the Mesilla Valley Breeders Association of Las Cruces, the collection also includes ration material from the Office of Defense Transportation during W.W. II.

Dates

  • 1912-1945

Conditions Governing Access

Open. All materials contained in this collection are open for use by researchers under supervised use in the Search Room.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyrights. All literary rights possessed in this collection by Chaves County Historical/society have not been assigned to the Rio Grande Historical Collections of New Mexico University Library.

Biographical / Historical

Pendleton R. Fuller was born in New York City, the son of Charles D. and Ina Pendleton Rogers Fuller. His preliminary education was in New York City public schools and he attended Princeton University. After completing his studies, Fuller worked for awhile in the Pittsburgh steel mills. He then returned to New York City and worked for three years in his father's office. In 1905, Fuller settled at Silver City, New Mexico. The following year, he acquired his first ranch located at Magdalena. He operated this property until 1910 when he moved to Las Cruces where he owned a farm and had some pasture land until 1922. Then Fuller purchased a cattle ranch at Carrizozo which he ran until 1928. At that time he sold out, moved to Roswell and started his sheep enterprise. His sheep raising activities took place on separate ranch properties. One ranch, the Picacho Ranch, was located forty miles west of Roswell and contained thirty sections of land. The other ranch was situated fifteen miles northwest of Roswell and had twenty-one sections. Both ranches were stocked with Corriedale sheep and Fuller was a leader in the New Mexico sheep industry, being a member of the New Mexico Wool Growers Association.

Extent

0.25 linear feet (1 Box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Collection of Pendleton R. Fuller, New Mexico farmer and sheep rancher including water related materials from the Elephant Butte Water Users Association, La Union Irrigation Co., Inc., and the U.S. Reclamation Service.

Processing Information

Merleen Dibert, May 1980
Title
Guide to the Pendleton R. Fuller papers
Status
Completed
Author
Merleen Dibert
Date
May 1980
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the New Mexico State University Library Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact: